Stem Cell Research Nobel Prize in Medicine to John Gurdon and Shinya Yamanaka
This is a pretty revolutionary breakthrough in the medical field.
Quick summary and background:
– A stem cell is a the first type of cell in your body.
– Before your cell is a skin cell or heart cell or muscle cell, it is a stem cell.
– These are only present in embryos still in the womb etc.
– A stem cell can be used to replace infected and diseased cells. This offers cures for virtually any illness. Possibly even aging..
– Since an embryo is required to harvest a stem cell, this is what always made stem cells controversial.
– These docs have found a way to reverse a cell in your body back to its’ original stem cell. No embryo needed.
Posted on October 8, 2012, in Biotech. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment