Stem Cell Research Nobel Prize in Medicine to John Gurdon and Shinya Yamanaka
This is a pretty revolutionary breakthrough in the medical field.
Quick summary and background:
- A stem cell is a the first type of cell in your body.
- Before your cell is a skin cell or heart cell or muscle cell, it is a stem cell.
- These are only present in embryos still in the womb etc.
- A stem cell can be used to replace infected and diseased cells. This offers cures for virtually any illness. Possibly even aging..
- Since an embryo is required to harvest a stem cell, this is what always made stem cells controversial.
- These docs have found a way to reverse a cell in your body back to its’ original stem cell. No embryo needed.